1. What do you do when you’re not at the gym? Your profession?
When I’m not at the gym I’m busy keeping up with my three crazy kids. We homeschool them, so it’s a pretty full time job. We also enjoy camping and backpacking as a family and try to get outside as much as possible.
2. How did you find out about CF?
I had heard a little about Crossfit before I joined, but assumed it was way too hardcore for my post-partum out-of-shape self. I had been inconsistently dragging myself into a regular gym for awhile, but found myself bored and unmotivated to push myself. My husband mentioned wanting to try Crossfit, so I agreed even though it completely intimidated me. From the first few times I came in I was completely hooked! He ended up having a difficult time making it work with his schedule and didn’t stick it out, but I’m still here 2+ years later and can’t imagine not having Crossfit in my life.
3. What makes you come in and train on days that you don’t want to? I honestly don’t consider going or not going as an option for myself. Unless there’s an unavoidable conflict, I’m going to the gym. It’s just part of my routine. There are definitely days that I may feel like staying home, but as long as I can make myself get in the car and walk through the door to the gym, I know I’m going to get a good workout and be glad that I went. I also love hitting new PR’s. It’s so motivating to suddenly be able to lift an amount that you couldn’t lift a few weeks prior. It’s addictive and it keeps me coming back.
4. What’s your favorite movement and/or workout? Right now I’m loving WODs that include pull-ups. I couldn’t even come close to doing them when I first started Crossfit so it’s exciting to finally be able to do them now. I also love deadlifts. There’s something about just being able to pick up heavy weight that makes me feel powerful and strong.
5. Name something about you that’s a little-known fact.
I was a competitive cheerleader in high school. Most people (including myself) have a hard time reconciling my current cynical personality with that of a cheerleader.