1. What do you do when you’re not at the gym? Your profession? I am in marketing and business development for a Credit Union. My background is in advertising and marketing. The Credit Union was kind of a leap for me, but it allowed me to move back to Birmingham and be with family.
2. How did you find out about CF? I went out with a guy who would literally not schedule a date until "after I finish CrossFit". I had no idea what it was. My sister found a Groupon for a place downtown, and we went together for a trial. We enjoyed it. That place moved, but we both stuck with it.
3. What makes you come in and train on days that you don’t want to? Totally exhausting myself at the gym is the most relaxing part of my day. I stay pretty busy and stressed between my job and taking care of my parents, and sometimes I have to make myself walk in. But, I'll walk in stressed and walk out happy. It's the best hour of my day.
4. What’s your favorite movement and/or workout? I like deadlifts and squats, and actually don't dislike burpees and box jumps. I am stronger with lower body stuff.
5. What’s one thing you would like to accomplish within CF in the next year? I would like to do Murph without having to use a band for pull-ups next year. It will be my 4th Murph, and I feel like it's time!
6. Name something about you that’s a little-known fact. I have only told a couple people this, but I was body shamed in high school. I probably weighed 20 pounds less than I do now, but was "athletic" so I was made fun of. I developed an eating disorder, and really struggled with my relationship with food. My (now) ex-husband continued the body shaming. It took finding martial arts and then CrossFit for me to see all these strong, beautiful women and find a place to feel good about myself. I still struggle with self-doubt sometimes, but I love all the strong friends I have made, and maybe telling this story can help someone else who struggles.